Online Ecumenical School for Dialogue
Ukraine at the Crossroad between East and West: Religious, Social and Geopolitical Dimensions
5. - 16. Juli 2021
Institute of Ecumenical Studies at the Ukrainian Catholic University is organizing an Online Ecumenical School for Dialogue 2021 “Ukraine at the Crossroad between East and West: Religious, Social and Geopolitical Dimensions” for those interested in theology, philosophy, humanities, politics, history and reconciliation.
ESD will last for 13 days (three hours per day: 16:00-19:00 CET) and will consist of online lectures, discussions, seminars, video-presentations and virtual excursions.
ESD offers 4 ECTS credits for participation at the school’s online events and homework.
Working language – English!
Goals of the School:
- to study key political, social and religious processes occurring in Ukraine and throughout the region;
- to introduce various aspects of the ongoing conflict in Ukraine (geopolitical, ethnic, religious, ideological);
- to investigate the inter-denominational experience of the 2014 Maidan Revolution (The Revolution of Dignity) and its impact on the dialogue and cooperation within broader society;
- to study the ecumenical situation in Ukraine, marked by the challenges of the Catholic-Orthodox dialogue;
- to study the implications of the creation of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, the reaction of the Russian Orthodox church to it, and the implications for the inter-Orthodox unity;
- to evaluate Eastern Christian contributions to the field of ecumenism and peacebuilding;
- to discuss creative proposals in order to deal with the situation of conflicts and wars, and cultivate an atmosphere of trust between the Churches, societies and states;
- to foster an understanding of Ukraine and its neighbours, in order to understand Europe better, by engaging with the insider perspectives
To enroll in ESD, please submit the Application Form
The First Application Deadline: April 25, 2021.
The First Notification of Admission: April 27, 2021.
The Final Application Deadline: May 31, 2021.
The Final Notification of Admission: June 5, 2021.
ESD 2021 is free this year due to the support of the Mainz Diocese (Germany).